“Dominicanish” The Dominican Writers Conference 2019
May 4$10 – $20
The Dominican Writers Conference, created by a group of Dominican Women Writers in New York, firmly believe our stories must be told by us. Our objective is to offer emerging and established Dominican writers, and the communities that support us, an event that celebrates the important works generated from the diaspora, but also to render opportunities for more Dominican writers to break into publishing.
The first annual Dominican Writers Conference will take place on Saturday, May 4, 2019 at The City College of New York.
The Dominican Writers Conference will offer participants
- Intensive writing workshops- Queer Dominicans: Writing from the Margins
- Manuscript critiques- Where and How to Pitch Your Manuscript
- Pitch sessions- Finding an Agent/Editor
- Panel discussions- Neither From Here or There and The Bilingual Writer’s Search for Belonging and Place
- Author readings and signings
- Community open mics
- Storytelling for children
- Networking opportunities, and many more activities!
Our goals are:
- to grant the general public access to experts and seasoned authors who have made a mark in our writing communities
- to provide participants with the knowledge and resources they need to continue developing their writing and become published authors.
The Conference is open to everyone, with a special focus on bilingual Dominican writers of the Diaspora and Latinx readers, editors, publishers, academics and supporters who want to make strides in evolving the literary canon to include our stories.
We are carving out our place in the literary canon and the Dominican Writers Conference will only help to bring these stories to the forefront.
This Conference is sponsored by:
- City College of the City of New York
160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY 10031
- Dominican Writers